While your skin adapts to acne therapy with RETIN-A, you may experience some discomfort such as irritation, redness, and peeling. The following instructions may help minimize occurrence of these conditions.
- We recommend applying RETIN-A starting 3 nights a week until your skin adapts, and slowly increasing applications as tolerated.
- Gently wash the face with a mild cleanser, such as PURPOSE® Gentle Cleansing Wash, and dry. Wait 20 minutes for the face to fully dry.
- Apply only pea-sized/pearl-sized amount to the entire face, avoiding the more sensitive areas around the eyes, nose, and corners of the mouth.
- Discontinue use of any astringents or drying agents.
- Apply a noncomedogenic moisturizer each morning after washing face thoroughly. Daily sun protection is also important. Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation recommends PURPOSE® Dual Treatment Moisturizer with SPF 15, an elegant, noncomedogenic moisturizer with the added benefit of PABA-free sunscreens for everyday sun protection.
- For prolonged sun exposure, swimming, or heavy exercise, use an effective Waterproof sunscreen. Ortho recommends SUNDOWN Sunscreen, which is compatible with therapy with RETIN-A.
- Since RETIN-A may make you more susceptible to sunburn, exposure to sunlight should be minimized. If you are sunburned, stop using RETIN-A until fully recovered.
For more detailed information, please refer to the American Academy of Dermatology.